ATHLETE: Whitney is an evening Sweatshopper, she is fairly new to 717 but she certainly has already made her mark. She didn’t waste any time in volunteering to help keep score at a FNL event and to give her time at the Battle. She even had her first experience with a barbell at the Ladies Night! Whitney is a natural athlete, she does everything 100% it’s a joy watching her workout with such intensity.
1. Where did you grow up?
I am from New York, but moved to Central PA when I was 6.
2. What is your athletic background?
I played volleyball, basketball and soccer but soccer was my main sport. I was lucky enough to get to play in college for my first two years.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
Deanne Dejordy said “you should come try this class at my gym.” I didn’t know it was CrossFit until the night before, but I’m glad I went.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
Since the end of May.
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I like AMRAP and EMOM. I like AMRAP because I can challenge myself to see how many rounds I can get and EMOM because I can really push myself on the movement and then get a quick rest.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
I don’t know that there is a WOD I dislike. They are all really challenging for me and push me outside my comfort zone, but that’s good for me, and part of the reason I show up. If I had to pick an exercise I would say I have a love/hate relationship with the rower.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
I’m still pretty new to it, so every time I am able to do something that I wasn’t able to do in the beginning I feel proud.
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
Just to have no regrets and to be a good role model for my daughter.
9. Where did you go to high school/college.
I went to Trinity High School and then went on to St. Francis University, but ultimately graduated from Elizabethtown College.
10. What is your current occupation?
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
I don’t really have one, so I’ll say all the coaches at 717 ☺ but seriously, you guys inspire me to be better
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
Tommy Boy because sometimes it’s nice to watch some mindless comedy and not have to think.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The feeling of community and support, I was terrified when I started but the coaches and members have been helpful and supportive and welcoming.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
I have quite a few, but my biggest one is probably bad drivers
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I have never gotten a speeding ticket
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Ireland, it’s amazing.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
Worrying. The moment I became a mom I worried about everything and I can’t seem to stop.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
My family has always called me Whit, just because they shorten all names
19. What is your favorite genre of music to work out to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Anything that is loud and has a fast beat. I don’t have favorite songs, I like to always change it up so I don’t time a workout by what song I’m on.
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My Mother, she is the best person I know.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
I think the cell phone is the best and worst invention. It’s great to have everything at your fingertips but they also make us rude when we’re checking them rather than having a conversation.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I love to read and I love to volunteer when I can find the time.