ATHLETE: Wendy is a staple at the 9am Sweatshop Class during the week. Wendy has developed into one tough athlete. Her determination and work ethic have helped her to become stronger, faster and fitter since she joined 717. She would stay past the class time to finish long WODs when she was a newbie, and now she’s a force to be reckoned with on the rower and the bike. Wendy, thanks for bringing your smile with you to every WOD!
1. Where did you grow up?
Bellwood, PA, which is about 45 minutes south of State College
2. What is your athletic background?
I played field hockey in high school and have worked out in gyms and at home off and on since then.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
My husband has been going to a CrossFit gym in York for over two years so I have been familiar with it but my motivation to begin was my upcoming 50th birthday and a trip to Hawaii.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
I’ve been going to Sweatshop classes for 7 months
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I like it when we start with a high number of reps and decrease reps every round.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Complicated moves are not my favorites
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
When I was finally able to do 20 inch box jumps since I started by jumping on a plate!
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
To have my own business and have the freedom of making my own schedule.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
Bellwood Antis High School in Bellwood, PA; Harcum College in Bryn Mawr, PA
10. What is your current occupation?
I am a Certified Veterinary Technician and dog training instructor.
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
Lauren Salerno, Lisa Latchford and Jamie Chrispen are my favorites because they are all strong women who have been an inspiration to me!
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
I have a wide range of ‘favorite’ movies from the J.R.R. Tolkien series to Under the Tuscan Sun. All have great stories with great endings!
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The support, encouragement and camaraderie of the coaches and fellow classmates!
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Seeing animals who are not properly cared for.
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I’ve never had a social media account.
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
I can’t choose just one! My three favorite places are Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks and the island of Kauai.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
I tend to be a procrastinator, which can cause unnecessary stress in my life!
18. Did you or do you have a nickname?
My husband and some of my friends call me by my middle name, Zoe.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to?
What are your top 3 workout songs? Classic rock. Sweet Child of Mine by Guns N Roses, Photograph by Def Leopard, Stone in Love by Journey
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
As an adult, I have to say my best friend and husband, Rich. He’s been so encouraging of everything I’ve wanted to do in the last 23 years and continues to support me in all of my endeavors : )
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
The internet. I’m an information junkie and I love having the opportunity to learn about anything I want to.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I love to hike, learn about dog behavior and training, and work in my yard. I also really enjoy photography and would like to learn more about it.