ATHLETE: Paul Bruno…Paul has been a mainstay at 717 for almost 2 years. Paul has a contagious smile and the heart of a lion…he will push through anything you put in front of him! Read on to learn more about Paul. Stop by an evening Sweatshop Class and you will likely have the chance to WOD next to him (and maybe his wife too!).
1. Where did you grow up?
Northern NJ, about 20 miles outside of the city… New York City
2. What is your athletic background?
Growing up I played baseball, soccer, and swam every summer up until the age of 17. Ran cross country for 2 years in High School. Continued with intramural sports throughout college. Professional Scotch Drinker.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
My wife started going and kept telling me how much she enjoyed it and how great she felt. I decided just to keep listening to her until she bought me my first month membership as a Christmas gift… I never looked back
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
5. What are your favorite exercises/WODs?
EMOM’s and Chippers for WODs / Exercises; I like prowler push, wallballs, and mostly any movement with KB’s
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Any RFT for WODs / Exercises; Turkish Get Ups
7. What are you goals with regards to CrossFit and what accomplishments/PRs are you most proud of?
I just want to be consistent. Before 717, I had gym memberships that just collected my money. I had ZERO motivation. Since joining 717 I have lost and kept off 20 lbs (+/-) and attend 3-4 classes every week. PR most proud of would be my most recent mile time (July 2015) at the Harrisburg Mile 6:26.32 … with the help of Coach Lauren of course 🙂
8. In your perfect world, what would you be doing in 10 years?
In my PERFECT world, I would be retired! In reality; continue living a healthy and active lifestyle with my wife. Have at least one child by then, 2 at most… maybe running my own business… anddd lastly swimming in the inground pool situated in my backyard.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
High School – Don Bosco Prep, NJ – all boys catholic school… skeptical going at first but ended up having the best time of my life
College – Bloomsburg University, PA – and ended up meeting my bride to be in 2005… wouldn’t trade it for anything
10. What is your current occupation?
Occupational Title: Family Service Advisor
Role: I work at Rolling Green Cemetery in Camp Hill. I help families prepare and preplan for the inevitable (yikes)… I also meet with families to coordinate burial services here at the cemetery. We bury over 400 people every year. I truly find great joy helping people through one of the toughest times in their life. I have been doing this for 3 years now.
11. If you could eat dinner with 3 people past or present, who would you choose and why? Furthermore, what would you order for dinner? Muhammad Ali, Wayne Gretzky, and My Grandfather. I am a huge sports fan and Ali and Gretzky just dominated their craft. My Grandfather, a WWII vet, was just an amazing person and so meticulous about everything he did. We found a vintage journal from when he was head of artillery and that thing was covered front to back full of notes and daily routines. He was a great man.
Dinner would be at Peter Lugar’s Steakhouse in Brooklyn NY. We get Steak for 4, sides of thick cut bacon and cream of spinach… and scotch…
12. Who is your celebrity crush?
Young (er) I would go with Alexandra Daddario
Old (er) I would say Jennifer Aniston – I don’t think she ages
13. What is your favorite movie and why?
Can’t name one unfortunately. Off the top of my head would be Godfather 1 and 2, Stand By Me, Pulp Fiction, The Goonies, and Spaceballs… because why not?
14. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The new fans installed in the Sweatshop Room #finally
15. If you could have any car, what would you choose?
Audi R8 – with every possible upgrade imaginable
16. Tell us something interesting about yourself that we would be surprised to know.
When I was in 1st grade I had a rare “disease” called Legg Perthes. In short, blood stops flowing to your hip joint, causing the femur head to basically disintegrate. We went to many doctors for help and the best solution was to strap on a brace around both of my legs (imagine a Forrest Gump brace) while the femur head regenerated on its own. I wore that brace for almost 2 years and can proudly say that I had zero side effects from this disease. Eventually I’ll need a hip replacement, but then again, so will everyone else.
On a less depressing note – I am a huge fan of cooking – specializing in the art of homemade pizza on the grill!
17. What kind of shampoo do you use and why?
Tressume maybe? I think it was on sale – I really don’t have a whole lot of hair because I just buzz it off every month.
18. Have you ever been out of the country? If so, where and what was your favorite place? I have been to Amsterdam, Italy (3 times), Switzerland, and France. Favorites: I went to Amsterdam when I graduated high school… and they had great coffee shops (wink, wink) Italy though is just fantastic… specifically the Amalfi Coast. I was able to stay in Positano for a week and I need to get back there… (Thanks for the invite Tara) Also Aruba, Bermuda, and Bahamas.
19. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
I am quite stubborn at times… why? Because I said so!
20. If you won $100 million in the lottery, what would you do with the money? What is the first frivolous thing you would buy? Ah yes the million dollar question… Initially put enough away for college funds for my children, retirement, blah blah blah….Then immediately leave the country and travel for a couple of months. Once home, I would then start designing my backyard oasis… pool, fire pit, pool house, and an outdoor bar/kitchen setup with TVs and every ridiculous piece of technology you can think of
21. You are banished to a deserted island for a month and can only bring one person (fictional or real) and one album with you. Who do you bring and what album do you choose (keep in mind I said album, not song)? I’d bring Chris Farley. Left us all too soon and was/is one of my favorite comedians. Album – Now That’s What I Call Music! Vol. 1
22. Who do you consider your role model or inspiration and why?
*Corny Alert* My wife Sandra. In the 10 years we have been together, she has become a CPA, earned several promotions throughout her career, and has the hardest work ethic of anyone I know. And at the end of the she always comes home with a smile… also she puts up with my shit!
23. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
To me that “invention” hasn’t come yet… Ideally I would love to see a 100% cure rate for cancer (asking a lot, I know) …over time we have made HUGE advancements in that area. But losing loved ones to this awful disease, I just wish it can be cured every single time.
24. What are your favorite sports teams (you can list all teams for all sports you are a fan of)? Primarily 2 – New York Rangers and New York Giants…Giants have given me 2 championships since ’07. As for my Rangers, they just keep teasing me…
25. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
Golf, Cooking, and when I have the money, going to live sporting events. Madison Square Garden is one of the best atmospheres I have been around. I love exploring the Central PA area for new restaurants and come November / December you can find me at Troegs Brewery getting Mad Elf!