ATHLETE: Marisa is part of the night crew. You can find her frequenting Sweatshop and CrossFit Classes, sometimes both in the same night 🙂 Marisa’s hard work and commitment to coming to the box has been paying off. Just last week she did her first two RX WODs! Marisa prides herself on perfect form, her focus on technique is paying off with strength gains!
1. Where did you grow up?
Allentown, PA—a little over an hour east of here 🙂
2. What is your athletic background?
When I was little, I did almost everything—I cheered, played softball and basketball for my local youth association and I used to horseback ride, dance, and do gymnastics. I continued to play softball throughout high school, but just for fun; in my junior and senior year of high school, I was a cheerleader!
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
I used to go to the gym regularly and then I lost motivation for working out—I think it was my work schedule. Then I heard my cousin started doing CrossFit in VA and I figured if she could do it, I definitely could do it. I googled and chose the closest gym to me; thank goodness it was 717!
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
I started the end of June in 2014, so 2 years.
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I don’t think I have a favorite, I just try to get it done. But chippers feel great when I’m finished and EMOMs are nice to pace yourself and set mini goals or focus on form.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Anything with the Assault Bike and I’m not the best at strict presses.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
Showing up and getting into a routine—not giving up on trying to stay fit and it feels good to hit a new PR every once in awhile 😉
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
Make it through this crazy thing called LIFE! It isn’t the easiest ride, but getting through my ups/downs/ins/outs and coming out on the other side stronger, wiser, and better is where I want to be. Less philosophical—I want a strong, healthy career where I can be married and raise an amazing family so they can grow up and do the same.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
I went to Parkland High School in Allentown with Naomi! I visited the University of Pittsburgh and instantly knew I wanted to go there, and graduated with 2 degrees. Just a year ago, I received my masters degree from Penn State.
10. What is your current occupation?
I work for Select Medical, an organization that owns and operates post-acute care facilities, they’re currently switching from using paper patient charts to Epic (an EMR system) and I help to build and maintain the EMR.
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
I don’t have one; just search IG occasionally for some of the ones in the games.
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
Dirty Dancing because no matter what, it makes everything better.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The members and the coaches—everyone is great and so friendly.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Eeek, I’m not sure I can pinpoint one right now; I think I have too many :-/
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
Uhhh, a tequila shot?! lol, I’m drawing a blank on this one.
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
The BEACH!!!! I love sitting in front of the waves and listening to them crash against the sand. My favorite so far has been Horseshoe Bay in Bermuda—pink sand and crystal clear blue water. One day, I’d like to visit Fiji, the Maldives, Bora Bora—any or all 3.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
Procrastination at home; I’m great at work but home is a whole other story—it’s weird, I know.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
Mushka/Mush—my grammy and aunt called/call me that; not sure where it came from.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Hip Hop BBQ is now my favorite Pandora station because of the gym. Haha but I enjoy it all unless its a romantic slow song, its really hard to get your workout groove on to that. My top three mish mosh—Notorious BIG, Lil Wayne, and any hip hop/pop/dance music.
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My mom and her family, they have been and are the most important people to me—her parents, my aunts/uncles/cousins—we’ve been through a lot and continue to support each other no matter what. I wouldn’t be here without my mom or be the person I am today, she’s the greatest and I couldn’t have asked for a better person to raise me.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
I guess cell phones—they’ve changed the way we live, both bad and good influences, but I don’t have a real opinion here. If I didn’t have my iPhone, I think I’d struggle.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I like being outdoors in the sun—golfing, going on the river in a kayak/boat, an occasional hike, and traveling to new places and eating good food (sweets and savories). I also like to cook and bake a lot—it’s a stress reliever for me; and shopping on good days (not all days, ha). I like trying DIY stuff from Pinterest, recently I have an obsession with makeup, and I actually like cutting the grass.