ATHLETE: This month’s Beyond the Athlete spotlight is Lauren Donahoe. The timing of this post is coincidental because this will be her last month at 717. We are excited for the new career opportunity that Lauren has through Select Medical at the Latrobe Hospital, but we are sad to see her go. Despite her initial desires to not “lift heavy” and her self described “non competitive” attitude, she participated in this year’s CrossFit Open and has plans to compete in the 2016 Battle Royale! We are so pleased that Lauren found a passion for CrossFit and will continue her journey as an athlete when she moves to western PA. Thanks for being such a committed member at 717, it’s people like you that give us such a great community atmosphere!
1. Where did you grow up?
2. What is your athletic background?
I played basketball and volleyball, participated in track and field, and ran cross country in high school. Despite being the least competitive person on the planet, I did manage to play Division I basketball for two years at Saint Francis University. After I transferred to Allegheny College, I played basketball and volleyball. While I was a grad student at the University of Southern California, I was on the triathlon team and more recently, I’ve completed a few marathons.
3. How did you get started with Crossfit?
Diana convinced me. But honestly I’ve wanted to try it for a while. I just wasn’t thrilled about the heavy lifting (I always hid in the locker room when we’d lift in college). But I liked it once I tried it.
4. How long have you been at Crossfit 717?
We did our first class in July of 2015.
5. What is your favorite type of Crossfit workout? (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I like EMOMs. Given my lack of competitiveness, “as many rounds…” might as well mean “one round.” EMOMs don’t give me that slacking option.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
I’m six feet tall and built like an ironing board. Anything involving upper body strength and flexibility (most things) I struggle with.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
The first time I actually paid attention to and recorded a score for one of our workouts (this was last week).
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
I don’t even know what state I’ll be living in next month, so this question is pretty impossible to answer. I suppose my biggest goal in life is to stay happy – seems reasonable.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
High School – Greensburg Central Catholic
College – Saint Francis University, Allegheny College
Grad School – The University of Southern California
10. What is your current occupation?
I am the Chief Operating Officer for Select Specialty Hospitals of Central PA (Harrisburg, Camp Hill, and York facilities). I also am on the Board of Directors for the Central Pennsylvania Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
The tallest one (who is probably only 5’5” but I’ll take it).
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
I don’t think I have one but if it’s super funny, super scary, or has Angelina Jolie in it, I’m sure I’ll be content watching.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
I would have one friend if it weren’t for the gym. I feel the false illusion of being incredibly popular when I roll through because I see the same faces so I have multiple people I can say hi to.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Cockiness, tied with the way many people in Central PA drive (reminder: the left lane is for passing and you can make a left on red if it’s two one ways).
15. What is one thing you have done that we would be surprised about?
I got my motorcycle license in 2013.
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Amsterdam – I could honestly move to that city tomorrow if I were asked. I also loved living in Los Angeles. Both cities have laid back, totally accepting people
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
Well I have a ton so it’s hard to pick just one. I talk a lot and I have no filter. (Diana can confirm.)
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
DHoe… it doesn’t mean what you think, nor is it original. My last name is Donahoe. I’m also the “other Lauren,” the “bigger Lauren,” the “not coach Lauren,” and a few other references to me not being Lauren Salerno.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to work out to? What are you top 3 workout songs?
Genre? Let’s go with person – Michael Jackson. I think I have finally convinced Lauren to officially make Wednesday nights “MJ nights.”
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My biggest influence was/is my grandfather. I called him Be-Bucks. He passed away last April but he definitely taught me to be laid back, always in a decent mood, and to get along with whoever should come into my life.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
This question is weird. Probably the internet – otherwise we’d have to carry around encyclopedias all day and every day would become arm day.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I like to cook (when Diana allows me to use knives), travel, and do things with my friends and family.