ATHLETE: You knew Jonathan was hooked the day he asked to change his membership from 3x a week to unlimited. He is a religious attendee at 5:30am, if you don’t see him in class it’s either because he’s out of town or one of his many work events kept him out too late. Just like most of you, Jonathan has his “spot” and resides ride in the middle of the floor. Jonathan’s consistency and hard work have helped him see tremendous improvement over the years. Read on to learn a little more about Jonathan. When his schedule allows you can often catch him in on a Saturday morning as well!
1. Where did you grow up?
New Holland, PA – one town over from where Phil Copley grew up!
2. What is your athletic background?
I played a bunch of different sports growing up (football, basketball, baseball, tennis, golf) but ended up focusing on football which I played in college.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
Krystjan Callahan (a friend from work and former 717er) talked me into it after weeks of badgering. I felt like I walked around in circles for a month, but after that I was hooked.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
I started in November 2013 and have been here ever since.
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I seem to do better at Chippers – AMRAPs always gas me.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
I still struggle mightily with lunges and HSPUs. The 16.1 WOD had a bunch of overhead walking lunges and at one point I almost fell into the partition wall going into the Oly Room!
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
This may sound lame, but the first time I climbed the rope to the top is a moment I won’t forget. I could never climb a straight rope (even in high school) and getting up there was my first signal of progress at CF. Jamie’s coaching was a huge help.
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
Garden Spot High School, Franklin and Marshall College, and the University of Pennsylvania for my masters degree
10. What is your current occupation?
I am Vice President of the Insurance Federation of Pennsylvania which is a state trade association that represents insurance companies. This is another way of saying I’m a lobbyist.
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
Rich Froning. He was “The Man” when I started out and his stamina is beyond comprehension. He seems like a cool guy, too.
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
I don’t watch many movies any more, but growing up I loved the movie Wall Street – the original one. It’s dated now, but the storyline, the cinematography, the acting, the soundtrack – it’s all really, really good.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
It inspires me to do things I otherwise wouldn’t try. And that’s because of the group of people it attracts. I feel sorry for people who don’t “get it” because they are really missing out.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
I have lots, but if I had to narrow it down to one it would be drivers who hang out in the passing lane and require you to pass them on the right. It makes me crazy!
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I’ve never gone water skiing. It looks like fun and I think I could do it, I’ve just never had the opportunity. Who wants to take me out water skiing?
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Easy – the UK. I spent a semester abroad in college in Bath, England and was never the same afterwards. If you have never been to Bath, you need to go.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
I tend to procrastinate when it comes to deadlines.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
I’ve had a few over the years that have never stuck (thankfully), but the one that came closest was Rosey. Everyone who played football at Franklin and Marshall got a nickname their freshman year and mine was Rosey, after a guy who played in NFL named Rosey Grier. In fact, I ran into a guy a few weeks ago who I played football with in college and he still called me Rosey. Maybe it stuck after all.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
I think Coach John and I share the same tastes when it comes to workout music – Rage Against the Machine, White Zombie, Alice in Chains, Black Sabbath – that’s the stuff that gets me going.
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
I owe a lot to my parents, but the two people who have influenced my adulthood the most are my wife Colleen and my daughter Lillian. If they weren’t in my life today, I would be a much different person.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
General anesthesia – no explanation needed.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I enjoy golf and still play a fair amount. But it’s time consuming and a challenge to play when you aren’t in the “the groove.” I used to shoot in the mid to low 80s – not anymore.
I’m also gearing up for the Ragnar in September and in the process of rediscovering the joy of distance running.