ATHLETE: Jessica is a regular evening athlete, she can be often found with her swolemate, Alicia. She lights up the room with her smile (even post-WOD!). If you haven’t met Jess, you can catch her rolling out after class, you won’t be disappointed!
1. Where did you grow up?
2. What is your athletic background?
No real background. I played soccer in high school but was never very good so I mostly went to the gym to run and lift weights.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
I had always enjoyed going to the gym and working out and about 2 years ago I noticed I didn’t enjoy it anymore. I started to dread going to the gym and that is when I knew I needed to change my routine. I had heard about CrossFit so I googled CrossFit Central PA and 717 was the first search result. I called, signed up for the intro classes and the rest is history. Now I honestly could not imagine my life without it!
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
A little over 2 years
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I would have to say an EMOM because it gives me time to work on technique and pay close attention to what I am trying to do.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
I struggle with the Overhead Squat and Snatches but with practice I hope to learn to like them.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
I would say my most recent achievement I am proud of is completing Grace Rx this past November 2015
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
I went to Mechanicsburg High School and I was determined to go somewhere in NYC for college. I applied to St Johns in Queens NY, got a scholarship, moved there and got my B.S. in Marketing with a Minor in Art History.
10. What is your current occupation?
I write marketing proposals for Michael Baker International, an engineering firm specializing in transportation projects (roadways, bridges, etc.) I love it because I get to work with all of the different teams and learn about what they do and how they do it.
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
I really like Cloud Atlas at the moment. The story, the scenery the music- everything just comes together perfectly. Every time it comes on I am spellbound.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The people, feeling happy the second I walk in the door to 717 and of course, the feeling after a really good WOD.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People that chew with their mouth open
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I’ve never mowed the lawn – I don’t know how to-:/
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
New York is my favorite place. I remember visiting when I was young and it was love at 1st sight. Moving there for college I loved it even more – the people the city, the energy, I love everything about it. I try and get up there at least once or twice a year.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
I am constantly running late.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
My friends call me J – we all used to work together and everyone went by their first initial. My family calls me Jessie, not sure why but they are the only people that call me that.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
I LOVE the music at 717 – I especially love the TTU, Lil Wayne and Diplo stations. Top 3 workout songs right now, I’d have to say “Trophies” –Drake “Get Low”-Dillon Francis and “Chimes” – Hudson Mohawke
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My family. They have taught me so much, they are always there for advice, they have always encouraged me to set goals and achieve them and they love me unconditionally. Just being around them makes me happy.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
The iPod and iPhone mostly because they allow me to have all of my music with me all of the time.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
Is eating a hobby? My husband and I are foodies so we spend a lot of time finding new places to eat and trying new foods. I also like to run, read, discover new music and go to concerts/shows.