ATHLETE: Heather is a lunchtime regular, she came to us with some CrossFit experience and has seen steady progress ever since she joined almost a year ago! Heather even worked through an injury by coming every day and scaling appropriately to get her self back to 100%…and the whole time with a SMILE! She has endless energy (except when it comes to running) and always brightens up the class with her friendly demeanor. If you haven’t met Heather, she is the one that is the inspiration, she lets nothing define her and the sky is the limit! Check out Heather’s profile below!
- Where did you grow up?
I grew up in Harrisburg and Middletown, PA.
- What is your athletic background?
I was a cheerleader from Pee Wee age through High School and also played softball through those years. I was an all-star pitcher ~ slow and fast pitch. Before I got into CrossFit, I mainly walked for miles and attended Zumba and Hip Hop classes.
- How did you get started with CrossFit?
A U.S. Marine challenged (dared) me to try CrossFit, and although I was super scared to try it (what? your toes touch the bar? you do push-ups while in a hand stand? yikes!), along with the fact that I had never done any type of weight lifting in my life, I couldn’t back down!
- How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
I’ve been at 717 for about 10-11 months.
- What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
EMOMs are my favorite (especially where it’s a lifting movement & weight is added each minute), but I also like AMRAPs and Tabata, too!
- What exercises/WODs do you dislike? Running (yuck!); Rowing (eh); Wall Balls (the worst!) and any WOD that has a combination of these things.
- What is your proudest CrossFit moment? Besides being brave enough to try CrossFit and joining my first box at the age of 48, I have quite a few proud CrossFit moments,.. like when I got those toes-to-bar!, and when I did those handstand push-ups!, and was able to do box jumps, too!, but incredibly proud when I hit that 200 pound 1RM for dead lifts and totally amazed when I Clean & Jerked over a hundred pounds! (I never imagined I would ever get in the 3 digits for over-my-head movements!)
- What is your biggest goal in life?
My biggest goal in life is to be a happy, healthy and mobile person. I’d love to be able to CrossFit into my 90’s! …and beyond?!
- Where did you go to high school/college?
Middletown Area High School; HACC; NAVSEA Lean Six Sigma College
- What is your current occupation?
I am a Lean Six Sigma Black Belt within the Continuous Process & Performance Improvement area of the United States Naval Supply Systems Command’s Ammunition Logistics Center.
- Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
I really don’t have a favorite CrossFit Games athlete, but I have a number of 717 CrossFit athletes that are extremely inspirational, super strong and completely amazing to me.
- What is your favorite movie and why?
Bridesmaids…because it makes me laugh out loud!
- What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The people! I love the coaches! and have met some of the sweetest (& strongest!) women I’ve ever met in my life, along with some of the most dedicated & motivated men. My other favorite thing about CrossFit 717 is the daily, wide-variety of WOD programming, to include the warming up together pre-WOD stuff.
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
I’d have to say dishonesty…it’s very hard for me to handle when people are not honest, especially when it comes to taking advantage of and manipulating naive, trusting individuals.
- What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I’ll never tell! haha Seriously though, I really don’t know.
- Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Southern California (La Jolla, Manhattan Beach, Huntington Beach, Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, Sunset Cliffs, San Diego, Coronado) is my favorite! But Hawaii & Seattle are tied for second.
- What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
Being impatient… particularly with myself. I get so frustrated and embarrassed when I’m struggling with something that I should be doing better or have done better in the past…ugh!
- Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
When I was young, my nickname was “Feather”,…because it rhymed with Heather. lol At my previous CrossFit box, I had the nickname of “Dance Fighter”. One of my swole bro’s started that from me doing some Zumba moves in between CrossFit movements. lol
- What is your favorite genre of music to work out to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
It’s a tie between metal, 80s rock & rap/hip hop, but my top 3 favorite workout songs are Metallica’s ‘Where ever I May Roam’, Drowning Pool’s ‘Let the Bodies Hit the Floor’ and Eve’s ‘Tambourine’…and anything Van Halen!
- Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
I would say probably my 24-year old daughter, Haley. Once she came into my life, I realized the importance of what I say and do ~as I am the main example for her~ and that it’s not all about me. Knowing she’s watching and learning from my every move, I wanted to do my best to show & help guide her to be an independent, responsible, self-reliant, non-judgmental, secure female that can do whatever she chooses to do…in turn, it influenced me to become an even stronger woman and positive role model.
- What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
The most important? WOW…that could be so many different things; technology-wise; medical & healthcare-wise; etc. But a couple of my personally favorite inventions would be geothermal heating and air cooling, because it reduces the monthly bills, is clean and uses the earth’s free energy and… jeans!, because I love them. (I know jeans were invented over 100 years ago, but they’re still one of my favorites.)
- What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
Some of my favorite interests outside the box and things to do are: spending “mom & daughter” time with my daughter & best friend, Haley; hanging with my fur boys, Isaac & Maddox; touring & taste-testing at central PA’s wineries; dancing to local bands; roaming farmer’s markets & picking fresh fruit & veggies; lounging pool-side (in the summer); watching the LA Rams (in the fall & winter) while drinking craft beer & eating wings and nachos; on-line shopping; and reading fiction.