ATHLETE: Gina Davis has been a member at 717 a little less than a year and she has found a real passion for CrossFit. She regularly attends CrossFit classes, Running Club and just recently experience A TON of success with the Team Better Body Challenge. Gina has been pushing herself to achieve new things on a daily basis, including tackling the 20 inch box! Keep up the hard work Gina, your determination will keep the PRs coming!
1. Where did you grow up?
2. What is your athletic background?
I ran cross country and track my sophomore through senior year of high school
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
I never heard of Crossfit until I caught the Crossfit games last year while flipping through channels on tv and thought I wanted to look like the women competing in the games. So since then I had it in the back of my mind. I started working out at Planet Fitness because I was overweight and decided I didn’t just need to diet, because I had done that quite a few times since I’ve been out of high school and just gained the weight back, but make a lifestyle change. I got tired of doing the same thing at Planet Fitness for 6 months, sure I lost weight but I wanted more. I googled Crossfit Harrisburg and that’s how I found out about Crossfit 717. So in February of this year I took a plunge and did it.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
Any WOD with running always sounds good to me! I like AMRAPs because I like to see how hard I can push myself.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Squat cleans and snatches intimidate me but I just need practice. I think that goes with most of the exercises I just need more practice to feel comfortable.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
Running the Harrisburg Mile in 7:40; I never would have been able to do it without all the work I put into the running club workouts. I ran the Harrisburg Mile a couple years ago in 8:52 but had not been doing speed workouts to prepare me. I’m not very fond of speed workouts but you can’t get faster without them. Plus it got me back into the running and I ended up running my first 5k in about 11 years and my first half marathon ever!
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
To be happy, healthy, and to feel like I made a difference in someone’s life
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
Graduated Red Land High School in 2005; I went to the Tyler School of Art for a semester and Immaculata University for a semester
10. What is your current occupation?
Manager of Merchandising at Forever21
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
I haven’t followed a lot of Crossfit athletes but on the Progenex blog there was an article on getting to know Lindsey Kelley and I found it inspirational. She said “I sucked at CrossFit but I didn’t care, I was determined” It goes to show how far determination and hard work can take you.
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
Forrest Gump because it’s a classic. He doesn’t let disability and adversity stop him from accomplishment.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The coaches and and community; everybody pushes one another to be better
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
At work when I see a sales associate standing around doing nothing; I’m always ready to give them something to do.
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I have never been on an airplane.
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
I haven’t done a whole lot of traveling in my life yet. I got to go to Quebec my senior year of high school and the experience was awesome. I love the beach and would love to go to Hawaii someday.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
Negative self talk is definitely the biggest road block for me. The one running club practice Coach Lauren told me “You can do more than you think you can do” and that’s stuck in my mind and always will; I just need to believe it.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
At work a couple people called me “G” and “Jeans” but other than that I don’t really have one
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Hip-hop and some rock; Imagine Dragons “Radioactive”, Destiny’s Child “Survivor”, 3 Doors Down “Kryptonite”
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My parents have always supported me in whatever I wanted to do growing up
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
The iPhone; I feel like I would be lost without it; I use it as a computer.
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
Running, Coaching Girls on the Run, and art