ATHLETE: Elba is an evening regular, she is the type of athlete who is not afraid to work her weaknesses. Not so hot at running? Elba committed to running club… that’s they way she rolls. Elba’s progress over the past two years has been exciting to see, getting stronger, improving technique and now even mastering some of the gymnastics movements! Elba pushes herself out of her comfort zone and sees what she is really made of.
1. Where did you grow up?
All over the Harrisburg Area (Camp Hill, Enola, Harrisburg).
2. What is your athletic background?
Does 4 years of College Marching Band count?
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
In 2014 I started trying to lose weight after I hit an all-time high and was unhappy with how I looked and felt. However, my progressed stalled due to recurring pain/health issues that kept getting worse. In Spring of 2015 I had surgery, and was diagnosed with Stage IV Endometriosis. In an attempt to not let this diagnosis define/control me, I started going back to the gym, but was going inconsistently and lacked motivation. I started searching for alternative ideas to stay in shape in the area (group classes, for ex.) and found Crossfit 717. After a few weeks, I finally signed up for a sweatshop class. While it was the most difficult workout I’d ever done (I had to scale the 400m runs that day), I was hooked and never looked back.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
Since August of 2015.
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
Chippers and almost anything involving the barbell.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
It used to be any WOD involving running, but I actually think it has now changed to anything involving rope climbs since I’m not 100% comfortable with them and have a slight fear of falling from the top of the rope.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
This year during the Festivus comp, there was an EMOM 5 Rep Dead lift ladder that went up to 205#. If you reach the end you do as many as you can within the minute at 205. My goal was just to reach 185# and I ended up reaching 205 and did 10 total reps! It was such a great feeling.
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
My goal is to travel and see the world.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
I went to CD East High, and then Lebanon Valley College for music.
10. What is your current occupation?
I’m a Consumer Loan Processor at Mid Penn bank.
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
The Harry Potter Series because Harry Potter is life.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The friendly, welcoming and encouraging atmosphere. Both the coaches and athletes at 717 have allowed me to realize I am capable of doing so much more than I ever thought possible.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
When people are driving and can’t merge properly or ignore yield signs.
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I’m not really sure about this one…I’ve never been to New York City?
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Puerto Rico – it is such a beautiful island, the food is so good, and the people that live there are so friendly.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
I can be hot tempered. Like when I accidentally, unintentionally gave one of the other competing teams during Festivus a dirty look when she walked into my rope while doing single unders. I wasn’t trying to go back to doing burpees already!
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
Elbatron. I’m not sure why but in college I had friends that would call me that and even after graduating people I would meet would call me that. I have to say it’s a pretty sweet nickname.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Heavy Metal or Rap/Hip-Hop. Top 3 workout songs? I don’t know that I have a top 3, just anything that gets me pumped/in the groove. I am probably one of the only ones that notice music during a workout too so I prefer anything heavy or with a good beat.
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My dad. He is easily the hardest working person I know.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
The internet, it’s amazing how much information is accessible now
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
Spending time with my niece and nephew, my sister and my cats. I love being at the beach and anywhere sunny/warm. Dean (the hubs) and I have started traveling to new places over the past few years and I hope to continue doing that. I also love playing video games, eating and drinking wine/craft beers.