ATHLETE: Doug is a night time Sweatshopper who always has a smile and a baseball hat on! Doug works his butt off to improve himself. Always challenging himself and trying harder…choosing heavier weights if able. He is not always the first one done..nor the last, but falls into both those categories sometimes, but he really doesn’t care where he just wants to give his best and improve. He cheers on the other athletes and helps them if needed. He always lends a helpful hand with cleaning up or anything else that’s needed, he is the last one to leave class to ensure nothing else is needed of him. He is a joy to coach, willing to listen and push himself and has also been recently kicking butt in the 717 Running Club workouts! Join Doug for a Sweatshop WOD and get a chance to know him!
- Where did you grow up?
New Bloomfield, PA
- What is your athletic background?
I played High School Football for a couple years then some recreational softball with some friends and most recently, I attempt to play golf.
- How did you get started with CrossFit?
I needed a change of pace from the standard gym workout and mindset. Showing up at a “big box” gym and waiting for equipment then spending 2 hours to get a mediocre workout was not cutting it any more.
- How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
I joined in mid-October 2016 to see
- What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
AMRAP – you have the ability to work at your own pace but also some friendly competition to complete more work than your gym mates.
- What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Man-makers – I still have yet to make it through a set of burpees that I like and then you add a dumbbell in the mix.
- What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
Surviving my first week of 3 straight days of workouts
- What is your biggest goal in life?
Traveling as much as possible. I would like to get to visit more of Europe and potentially Australia.
- Where did you go to high school/college?
West Perry High School / Thompson Institute Tech School
- What is your current occupation?
- Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
I don’t have a favorite athlete.
- What is your favorite movie and why?
I do not have a favorite movie, however, I enjoy watching Sci-Fi and Action based movies.
- What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The workouts are always changing. The coaches are very encouraging.
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
People that cannot merge onto the highway. Seriously, it’s not rocket science.
- What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I have never had a fractured or broken bone. Done some pretty dumb stunts as a kid and adult and have been lucky enough to not have broken anything or ever had an overnight stay in a hospital.
- Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Ireland, one of the best trips and experiences I have been able to do.
- What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
I am an impatient person. I do not like waiting for anything.
- Did you or do you have a nickname?What is the story behind it?
I do not have any nicknames. Thankfully
- What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
If I am lifting weights, I prefer “angry music” like I Prevail, Bring Me the Horizon, and Staind. If I am running, I prefer Hip Hop and Rap for a faster beat like Eminem and Twenty One Pilots. Top 3 – Highly Suspect : My Name is Human, Chevelle : I Get It, Fort Minor : Welcome.
- Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
I do not have any one single biggest influence. Both of my parents and my closest friends have influenced much of how I make decisions throughout my life.
- What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
Computers, without them we would not have many of the advancements in other technologies or scientific discoveries that have come along with them.
- What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I enjoy making my own beer and occasionally playing a round of golf.