ATHLETE: You can catch Debra in with the lunchtime crew. If you’ve been to class with her then you probably know who she is, because if she hadn’t met you before she would certainly introduce herself to you! Debra is friendly, outgoing and a great ambassador for 717!
1. Where did you grow up?
Danville, PA (northern PA)
2. What is your athletic background?
I ran on the first women’s cross-country team at Messiah College in 1977.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit?
I would sometimes drop my daughter (Rebekah Hynson) off at the original Crossfit 717 box and figured it was something I could not do, it was a bunch of lifters and I was a runner. However, Bekah convinced me to give it a try and I have been hooked ever since.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
The least painful kind, short and sweet.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Anything that involves rounds and has you going on indefinitely.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
Jumping on the 20” box. When I started I couldn’t even do the 6”, I was so petrified.
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
To stay connected with my children and maintain meaningful relationships.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
Danville Area High School, Messiah College (undergraduate), and Evangelical Seminary (graduate – MFT)
10. What is your current occupation?
part-time crossfitter, part-time yogi, part-time Mom, and part-time marriage and family therapist
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
everybody who digs deep in a WOD
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
Sorry, not a big movie buff
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
community of people to work hard with
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Intolerance of one another
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
Never gotten drunk
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
Eleuthra, where my husband and I went on our honeymoon.
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
My intensity, it gets in the way of relating to other people in a relaxed way.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
Wild Thing (from college)
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Old time rock-n-roll
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My parents, they showed me how important relationships are and gave me a strong spiritual foundation.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
the Polio vaccine, My parents are 84 and 86 and tell hard stories of caring for patients with polio
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box?
I have a side business called recycledthredz. I love to sew and create and sell locally at One Good Woman (check me out there, look for the recycledthredz tag)