ATHLETE: If you haven’t had the privilege of meeting David yet, stop in a 4pm class nearly any day and you will be sure to find him. Just look for the guy wearing the baseball hat. David is a pleasure to coach, he works harder than anyone, is always willing to take your advice, and his diligence has paid off with great strength gains this past year. And tomorrow just so happens to be David’s birthday…so if you see him be sure to wish him well, or make him do some birthday burpees!!
1. Where did you grow up? I was born in Bloomsburg and raised in Mt. Carmel in Northumberland County. It’s a small town in the Coal Region. It was an awesome place to grow up!
2. What is your athletic background? I played Baseball, Football and Basketball when I was a kid and in High School 2 years of Football. I was super skinny when I was young and tried weightlifting. I used to chug Weight Gainer 2000 to try to gain weight but nothing ever worked though. I kinda sucked at everything but Baseball though.
3. How did you get started with CrossFit? My best friend’s brother and his wife own a CrossFit gym in Long Island. I don’t know how I never heard of it before but I was out there in 2011 and went to a workout with them and there were people running around holding weights over their heads and doing weird pull-ups and then crumbling to the ground at the end so I thought it was pretty cool!
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717? September 2015! Almost a Year.
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)? Any workout that’s over QUICK…
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike? Hmmmmm. It used to be Overhead Squats but now I’m starting to love them. Wall balls really suck right now for some reason.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment? I know they’re not very pretty but doing Overhead Squats. Jeff and I have busted our butts working on them so I’m proud of the work we’ve done. Still have a long way to go but they’re getting better.
8. What is your biggest goal in life? To make it 3 more years at my job and Retire! I hate it.
9. Where did you go to high school/college? Our Lady of Lourdes in Shamokin, PA and Alvernia College in Reading.
10. What is your current occupation? I’ve worked at the state prison in Camp Hill for almost 25 years. Blah. I started as an officer and the last 10 years I’ve worked for the State Parole Board as a Parole Agent. Did I mention I Really Hate it?
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete? Not sure I have one but maybe one of the Dottirs?
12. What is your favorite movie and why? Couldn’t name just one… The Godfather 1&2 because it’s The Godfather. Rocky 1, 2, 3 and 4 because it’s ROCKY! The Green Berets with John Wayne because well John Wayne, and I always wanted to be a soldier when I was a kid. I saw that movie a thousand times when I was young. Oh and Better Off Dead. It’s such a classic 80’s movie!!!
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717? I know it’s a cliché to say but the people. Seriously. People really do push you to be better and after seeing how some of the people competing at the Battle were moving I’m even more thankful than ever for the coaches we have!!! Honestly the Best!!!
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about? I’ve never been to the beach.
16. Where is your favorite place that you have traveled to? My grandparent’s village in the Alps in Northern Italy!!! Not only is it amazingly scenic but mountain people are just good people. Must be the altitude!
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why? Not sure if it’s a personality trait but if I don’t care about something I REALLY don’t care about it. I have to be interested in anything I do or I just won’t do it…
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it? “A” nickname? Ha. Rocky. When my voice changed when I was young the kids in the neighborhood said I sounded like Rocky and then years later at the prison people just started calling me that again. Guess it’s an Italian thing. Diamond Dave because of David Lee Roth. Not sure how that came about but it’s stuck. D-Man because some people have a hard time with my last name. Believe it or not when I was younger I was kinda a pretty boy and the nurses at work in the early 90’s used to call me Ken…..There’s a bunch more but I can’t put them on paper…
19. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout
songs? METAL! Again by Alice in Chains. Pledge Your Allegiance by Suicidal Tendencies and Symphony of Destruction by Megadeath. So basically music I’ll never here at our WODs. I’m not sure what the hell that music is we usually listen to… HAHA…
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life? My pop was…I’ll never meet someone who worked as hard as that man.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why? The Barbell!!!! We wouldn’t be doing this right now if not…. Right?
22. What are your hobbies and interests outside of the box? Hiking. Belgium Beer. Eating pizza. German Beer. Well basically any Good Beer!