ATHLETE: If you haven’t met Chinmay you probably aren’t around at 7pm. Chinmay is a regular in the late evening class (and occasionally on Thursday mornings). Just like all of us he has a busy schedule but he finds his way to 717 most nights. Chinmay loves Friday Night Lights, and always has that infectious smile on his face. Chin, thanks for sharing your answers with us!
1. Where did you grow up?
I was born and grew up in Mumbai, India. It’s a city on the west coast of India by the Arabian Sea.
2. What is your athletic background?
I always loved sport, picked up whatever I could. I played cricket in high school, discuss-throw, shot put and tug-of-war were some others as well. Oh! I also was the captain of my high school table tennis team.
3. How did you get started with Crossfit?
I have been following Crossfit for a few years but never really tried it until a few months ago. I was doing a lot of strength training but I just couldn’t shed weight and I wanted to change my workout program. I was on the fence for a while but after I did a trial class here at Crossfit 717, I haven’t looked back since.
4. How long have you been with Crossfit717?
I started in May this year.
5. What is your favorite type of Crossfit workout? (Ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc.)?
I like a few but Isabel and Fran type workouts are my favorite. I also love to do the EMOM style workouts.
What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
I don’t really dislike anything. Even the ones that I don’t prefer (Like the ones that include running with sandbags), I feel more accomplished after so it works out.
6. What is your proudest Crossfit Moment?
So many, like stringing my first few DUs, first pull-up but the one I loved the most was my first ever 5:30 am Thursday doing the double. I was really proud of myself that day.
7. What is the biggest goal in your life?
Completing my graduate studies and going on to work for myself.
8. Where did you go to high school/college?
I went to high school in Mumbai, India and went to Penn State for my undergrad.
9. What is your current occupation?
I work for Deloitte Consulting as a software developer.
11. What is your favorite movie and why?
I don’t think I have one cause I don’t watch too many but I like Rom Coms. I still don’t know why. I’ll take recommendations please.
12. What is your favorite thing about Crossfit 717?
No doubt, the coaches who are so personally invested in me and the community. Since day one I have loved it and it has grown ever since.
13. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People who chew loud. I think it’s a scientific disorder but yeah that really puts me off.
14. What is the one thing that you have never done that we would be surprised about?
Never have I sat in even the smallest of Ferris Wheels. They freak me out!
15. What is your favorite place that you have traveled to?
I loved Singapore. It was the first country that I had traveled to and it was the best time.
16. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
Impatience. It shows in my life and my workouts as well. I feel like if I had just a little more patience I would achieve so much more in life so much easier.
17. Did you or do you have a nickname? What is the story behind it?
Unfortunately, not a cool one. I go by “Chin” and my sports teams always call me “Chimney”. Text me with autocorrect on and you’ll see why the later.
18. What is your favorite genre of music to workout to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Anything with a beat but I have always worked out to Rock, MJ, classics really. Oh! I also still remember that one time in the box doing step-ups/jumps and “Ice Ice Baby” came on. That was awesome!
19. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My Dad! Every day I strive a little more to be like him.
20. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
The Internet. It brings people closer and it’s made it so much easier to gain knowledge easily.