ATHLETE: This month’s BTA profile is all about Alicia Hubiak. Alicia walks in to 717 nearly every night (unless she is cat sitting) with a HUGE grin on her face. Running may not be her favorite thing but she still shows up and attacks the workout head on. Make sure you take some time to get to know Alicia, she is bound to make you smile!
1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in a super tiny town called New Philadelphia, PA, which is located near Pottsville, PA.
2. What is your athletic background?
I was a competitive gymnast for most of my childhood and into my teen years. I also played a little soccer, softball and basketball in grade school. After I ended my gymnastics career while in high school, I joined the diving team.
3. How did you get started with Crossfit?
An old co-worker of mine was interesting in trying crossfit, so she gathered about 6-7 of us ladies from the office to try it together. The rest is history.
4. How long have you been at CrossFit 717?
2 years in April 2016
5. What is your favorite type of CrossFit workout (ex: AMRAP, EMOM, Chipper, etc)?
I am definitely a fan of chipper workouts. I feel like they test you mentally, so why not workout your mind while you’re working out the body.
6. What exercises/WODs do you dislike?
Least favorite exercises are thrusters and running (especially if they are paired together in a WOD). Also – not a huge fan of the 21-15-9 rep scheme.
7. What is your proudest CrossFit moment?
When I hit my first bar muscle up on the first ever Weakness Wednesday. Mainly because I debated all day whether or not that should be a weakness I would work on, because I was certain I would never be able to do one. Never say “never” ☺
8. What is your biggest goal in life?
I always want to make my parents and grandparents proud. And be a good role model for my younger brother.
9. Where did you go to high school/college?
I went to Pottsville Area High School. And I received my Bachelor’s Degree from Shippensburg University.
10. What is your current occupation?
I currently work for a State Senator from Southwestern PA. I work in her Capitol office. My job duties are endless.
11. Who is your favorite CrossFit Athlete?
12. What is your favorite movie and why?
“A League of Their Own”. There are so many relatable life quotes in that movie that I remind myself of pretty frequently. My favorite quote is from the scene where Tom Hanks is giving a pep talk and he mentions “the hard is what makes it great. If it was easy, everyone would do it”.
13. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit 717?
The sense of community/family. Coming to the box is definitely the highlight of my day. I’m a night crew regular, so I can have absolutely awful day at the office, but I step into the box and the combination of the atmosphere and friendly/familiar faces instantly improves my mood. A bunch of motivated, likeminded people, getting together to throw weight around? If I could spend all my time at the box, I probably would.
14. What is your biggest pet peeve?
It’s a toss-up between when people are late or using the word “whatever”
15. What is one thing you have never done that we would be surprised about?
I have never been ice skating.
16. Where is your favorite place you have traveled to?
Niagara Falls (Canada side)
17. What would you say is your worst personality trait and why?
It’s a mix of self-doubt and aggressiveness. I always tend to second guess my instincts. I’ve always struggled with having self-confidence. I also tend to have aggressive/passive spurts. Sometimes I might want something really bad, but I struggle with being aggressive enough to get what I want or work towards something I really want.
18. Did you or do you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
Nope, sadly no nickname.
19. What is your favorite genre of music to work out to? What are your top 3 workout songs?
Favorite music genres to work out to are EDM/Trap/House, hip-hop or pop. Top 3 workout songs (in no particular order): Get Me Bodied- Beyonce, Invincible – Machine Gun Kelly and Dirt of Your Shoulder – Jay Z
20. Who has been the biggest influence on your life?
My parents have had the biggest influence on my life. My parents had me when they were relatively young (early 20’s) and they had to work hard and sacrifice a lot to raise myself and my younger brother. They truly worked hard to give us everything they didn’t have as kids (or even as young adults). My parents taught me to always work hard towards what you want and how to be independent.
21. What do you feel is the most important invention in the past 100 years and why?
Any kind of mobile technology (laptop, iphone, ipad, etc.). Having phone numbers, pictures, music, books, calendars, etc. all in one place is so incredibly convenient. With that being said – I am sure we would all be somewhat helpless in today’s world without mobile technology.