So the big question is WHY…why should you register for the Open if you have no hope or desire to go to the CrossFit Games??
1. YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH. They have both a RX and a scaled version of the workouts, as well as workouts for each Masters category. Check out the archive of the past Open Workouts to see for yourself. CLICK HERE.
2. YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING. You may learn something new about CrossFit. A new movement or a strategy to become more efficient at a movement you already know. OR better yet, you may learn something new about yourself! The competition environment has the tendency to push you to your potential. What better time to PR than in the Open!
3. COMPETITION. CrossFit is a sport. This is a safe and comfortable way to test the waters of competing; whether it be with others at the box, people on the leaderboard, or yourself. The beauty of the Open is that your scores are logged online and then accessible from year to year. Workouts have a tendency to be repeated so you can see your progress!
4. FUN. Every Friday during the Open ALL CLASSES will be doing the Open Workout. Multiple heats will be run so that athletes can judge each other and verify scores for those registered. Every Friday Night we will host FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS (2/24, 3/3, 3/10, 3/17, 3/24) at 6pm where athletes will throw down and spectators will cheer them on to pushing their hardest. The Open brings the community together, you don’t want to miss out on the action!
5. BE PART OF A TEAM. For the first time 717 will be creating a team format for the Open. Earn points in a variety of ways for your team, read the details below:
Four Teams to be determined by random drawing on 2/23/17 @ 7:30pm (equal males and females) at our CF Open Watch Party!
*do not have to be present to participate just need to be on the list, so PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LIST AT THE FRONT DESK IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE!
Once teams are drawn, captains will be nominated within their team, team colors will be chosen (red/royal/green/purple), and team names will be decided. If desired, athletes can order a team tee for $10.
All Open rules apply. Standards. Judged. Score Cards (regardless if registered for Open or not). Repeats (makes sure all cards handed in so judges get credit).
- Teams are given 2 points (1 point only if not registered for Open) for every athlete who completes a given Open workout.
- Teams are given up to 5 points for athletes who judge other athletes (name on scorecard, 1 point per athlete judged)
- Teams are given points for every athlete who finishes among the top 3 women or top 3 men (both RX and Scaled) in the gym per workout (in addition to their completion points) 1st=3, 2nd=2, 3rd=1.
- Teams are given 5 points if they win the “Spirit of the Open” award on any given week (based on attendance at FNL-either workout or support, wearing team shirt, active spectating, fist bumps, etc).
- Check in on social media with #717FNL (tag CrossFit 717, coaches, teammates, etc.) when you are at the box for “Friday Night Lights” earns you one point per week for your team.